Thursday, February 7, 2013

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

To follow up on my Homemade Meatball post, I am dishing out my family recipe for Spaghetti Sauce.



Sauce

- Saute in a little butter and olive oil:

1 white onion, chopped (preferrably in food processor)
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
8 oz. white mushrooms, finely chopped
1 zucchini, finely chopped

- Add:

1 lb. Ground Round (85%) - browned and drained separately
3 links Hot Italian Sausage - casing removed, browned and drained separately

Add:

2 - 28 oz. cans Crushed Tomatoes - (start with one can and if you want it saucier, add another - or use 2 of these and one tomato sauce)
2 - 28 oz. cans Tomato Sauce
1 - 15 oz. can Petite Diced Tomatoes - not drained
1/4 C. Red Wine
Dash of Cayenne Pepper - no more than 1/4 Tbs
Dash of Dried Oregano (or fresh) - i use approximately 1/2 to 1 Tbs
Black Pepper - same with oregano

Stir and Bring to a Boil, then simmer for a few hours

Add:

1 Bunch Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped - fresh parsley really makes the sauce - dried will work, but I don't recommend it.
1 Package of Dried Porcine Mushrooms, soaked in 1 1/2 Cups of hot water for about 30 minutes 
Remove mushrooms after softened and chop. Add Mushrooms and Mushroom Broth to sauce (note: i have made it with and without these...it's hands down better with them.  However, sometimes they don't fit into my shopping budget and I make without.  The sauce is still good without.)
Fresh Garlic, chopped - I use 1-2 Tbs...I LOVE garlic.  Use enough for your own preference.

Simmer for another hour

No comments:

Post a Comment