Friday, February 1, 2013

Crocheted Bobble Baby Blanket

I have never crocheted a blanket.  I know, it is hard to believe because most beginning crocheters start with a scarf or blanket due to the repetitive stitch pattern that is easy to follow.  But not me.  I learned how to crochet and went for the hard stuff right out of the gate.  Now, needing to make a gift for a baby shower, I decided I wanted a soft blanket, but not anything that looked like the standard "granny afghan".  So I played with a few stitches and came up with this:


This was such a simple stitch pattern, but took a lot of time.  I would estimate that it took me close to 15 hours to put this together.  It measures approximately 19in x 32in.  It isn't a large baby blanket, but I think it is perfect size to put over the baby in the car seat, or even to use as a diaper mat.  It is perfect size to roll up into a diaper bag :-)

Here is the pattern:

Yarn:  Caron Simply Soft in Heather Grey and Amber Red
Hook: Size 9 / I / 5.5mm

Begin by chaining 95, turn.  Sc in the second ch from the hook, triple crochet in the next. * Sc in the next, triple crochet in the next*.  Repeat from * to * to the end of the 95 chains.  Once you reach the end, ch1 and turn.  Repeat this pattern until you have reached your desired size.  

I added a single crochet border.  I used 4 rounds of single crochet stitches.  For the corners, sc 3 in each corner stitch to create a "corner" effect.
  Enjoy your new blanket!  I am sure this can be expanded to a large blanket by beginning the blanket with a longer ch string.  You might try ch 160, instead of 95.  

No comments:

Post a Comment