Friday, February 15, 2013

Savory Tomato Soup

If you are a fan of tomato soup, then boy do I have a treat for you!  I love tomato soup but it often leaves me feeling unsatisfied and hungry.  My version adds onion and pasta shells to give it a little more heartiness and act as a meal.

A case of the cold virus is violently sweeping through our house.  This is my favorite soup to make when I am under the weather.  My second favorite is a good old homemade chicken and rice soup, which I will provide that recipe in a separate blog.  Back to the tomato soup....



To make this you will need:

1/2 white onion
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup of small pasta (I used small shells for this one, but any small pasta will suffice)
Salt and pepper to taste


Chop the white onion.  In a large stock pot, saute the chopped onions in the vegetable oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, until soft.
Add the tomato sauce and two equal portions of water, bring to a boil.
Add pasta to the boiling sauce and reduce heat to medium for 5 - 10 minutes, or until the pasta is almost cooked throughout.
Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.  Add some fresh ground pepper and serve!

This is such a budget friendly and easy meal.  I like to whip up a batch of cornbread to compliment the soup and serve on a cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment